Door of Privacy
There are a few doors in your home which are doors of privacy. One such door is the bathroom. Another might be a closet or a bedroom. Have you ever had someone come by your house unexpectedly for a visit? You quickly pick up the stuff you have laying around and toss it into a closet or bedroom, shutting the door to hide your mess. Your mess is private. Later when your guest is gone, you have to retrieve what you hid so that you can take care of it properly.
Jesus is the door to a special place of privacy. It is a place where we can hide away with Him, spending time alone with only Him. The Lord calls it “the secret place” (Psalm 91:1). It is never a secret place where bad things happen; quite the opposite. While the Secret Place is a place of privacy, it is also a place of safety, a place of protection. When you abide in the Secret Place, you are protected from the enemy. You can read all about it in Psalm 91.
You might ask, “So, what do you do in the Secret Place?”
Here are a few suggestions. As you try them, you will discover what is best for you. You also might find you like to do different things at different times. For instance, in the summer when you do not have school, you might try spending more quality time with Him. Time spent with the Lord is never wasted.
1. Read Your Bible. You might try reading a chapter at a time. If the book is short, you could try reading a book at a time. Sometimes – especially in the Gospels -- I like to read a paragraph and think about it throughout the day. Regardless of how much you read, always ask the Lord to speak to you before you begin reading. If you ask Him to speak to you, He will.
2. Pray. Talk to God and take time to listen for what He wants to say to you. I find that many times He gives me directions to follow.
3. Journal. Write down what you learn and what the Lord speaks to you. It is a proven fact we retain a lot more when we write it down.
4. Soak with the Lord. Just spend time resting in His Presence. You can listen to soft Christian music or not. But I cannot over stress the value of resting in the Lord DAILY. It causes stress to fall off you, and worry disappears. It provides refreshment as well as God-directed focus when you go back to what you need to do. Everything goes better when your focus is on the Lord.
5. Meditate on the Word. As you know, one of the things I like to do is color in my Inspire bible as I meditate on a verse – usually the verse I am coloring. It is not easily forgotten.
I find He leads me in how I spend time with Him in the Secret Place. Today it was by soaking. Tomorrow it is likely to be quite different. We are made in His image. As we enjoy doing different things with someone we love, so does Jesus. He loves you and is just waiting to spend time with you. So, go enjoy the Secret Place with the One who loves you most!